The History of Melrose
From 1872 Melrose has been home to Dingleton Hospital, serving the mental health needs of the Border Region. Innovative treatment regimes culminating in the Therapeutic Community and Community Psychiatry gave the hospital international renown.
Such has been the success that the hospital building has become redundant. Their functions are at present being transferred to sites in the Borders community at large and to the smaller premises of Huntly Burn House.
If any one person must be singled out from among the dedicated staff over the years and at all levels, Dr. George Bell, Medical Superintendent from 1945 to 1962 was central to the progressive improvement in treatment.
Melrose, Scottish Borders